Woodall’s Campground Magazine
Woodall’s Campground Magazine
January 23, 2023
With five winter-season campgrounds and an array of adventures showcasing outdoor fun, historic sites and cultural attractions, winter campers at Spacious Skies Campgrounds will have no trouble finding ways to spend their time during the winter months, according to a press release.
“Winter is a time to celebrate the joys of slow travel. Our winter-season guests take their time meandering along campground trails and visiting museums and historic sites,” said Ali Rasmussen, CEO and creative director. “There are plenty of outdoor adventures too, with UTV trails and ski areas just waiting to be experienced.”
“All five winter campgrounds are located in stunning destinations, and the campgrounds feature a variety of on-site activities as well as local attractions,” states the release.
Here are ideas for making winter-season memories at Spacious Skies campgrounds:
Spacious Skies French Pond
Located in Southern New Hampshire, Spacious Skies French Pond features 46 winterized RV sites. The campground is convenient to a variety of historical sites, cultural attractions and ski areas.
Here are three ways to while away winter days at Spacious Skies French Pond:
- Hit the slopes at Pats Peak, a family-owned destination featuring night skiing, or Mt. Sunapee featuring 67 trails and four terrain parks.
- Take a selfie on the Henniker Covered Bridge, a 50-year-old footbridge above the Contoocook River.
- Stage an air hockey tournament at the campground’s arcade.
Spacious Skies Belle Ridge
Between Nashville and Knoxville in the middle of Tennessee is Spacious Skies Belle Ridge. The campground features 50 RV sites, 12 cabins and 500 forested acres with trails for hiking and riding UTVs. There are numerous historic sites nearby.
Winter experiences at Spacious Skies Belle Ridge include:
- Learn about the Civil War by exploring Civil War Trails, a network of sites that helps visitors learn about the war from the perspective of soldiers, locals and enslaved people.
- Discover why Monterey’s motto is “Where Hilltops Kiss the Sky” at the Monterey Depot Museum, a replica depot offering a variety of exhibits exploring the rich history of the Upper Cumberland Mountains.
- Hike to a waterfall or cave on the property’s 500 acres, or explore the many UTV trails for a taste of adventure.
Spacious Skies Hidden Creek
Located in Marion, N.C. at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains and just 40 minutes from Asheville, Spacious Skies Hidden Creek offers 141 RV sites, 17 cabins and an array of amenities and local attractions.
During a winter stay at Spacious Skies Hidden Creek, guests can:
- Make it a date night in downtown Asheville, renowned for its art, dining and craft beer scene.
- Take a tour of Linville Caverns and see an underground stream, stalactites, stalagmites, a vast array of mineral colors and the “Bottomless Pool.” Open on weekends in winter.
- Take a hike to…Hidden Creek. Hint: it’s not that hard to find. And while you’re at it, look for Hidden Creek Lake.
Spacious Skies Peach Haven
Spacious Skies Peach Haven is located in South Carolina’s Upcountry in the midst of farmland and rolling hills. The region features a delightful combination of historical sites, recreation and business headquarters. The campground features 127 RV sites, two deluxe lodges accommodating up to six people, one deluxe lodge that sleeps four and two deluxe units that sleep two.
During the winter months, guests at Spacious Skies Peach Haven can:
- Learn about local history with the Cherokee County Historical & Preservation Society and explore renovated structures like Fort Thicketty and the Possum Trot.
- Learn about national history at Cowpens National Battlefield, a Revolutionary War site that commemorates the victory of Brigadier General Daniel Morgan over his English enemy Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton.
- Head to the rec hall. With an array of games and activities for all ages, the rec hall is good old-fashioned fun.
Spacious Skies Sandy Run
Spacious Skies Sandy Run is located in Fayetteville, N.C. minutes off I-95, a popular route for snowbirds from the Northeast United States and Eastern Canadian provinces. The campground has 62 RV sites.
Here are three ways to spend winter days at Spacious Skies Sandy Run:
- Make a beeline for Cape Fear Botanical Garden, featuring specialty gardens and blooming ornamental plants as well as 1886 agricultural structures and a homestead.
- Take a drive on Cultural Heritage Trails with more than 750 miles of themed driving trails with stops such as the Cape Fear Botanical Gardens on the All-American Adventure trail, the Cape Fear Regional Theatre on the Patri-Arts & Gardens.
- Catch – and release – a fish. The onsite fishing pond is stocked and waiting.